Your Guide to Success
Dear First-Year Students,
Congratulations on becoming our newest Oglethorpe University Petrels!
Our new academic advising program, Compass, will help you identify, clarify, and achieve your education, career, and personal goals. Starting on your first day on campus, Compass Advisors will encourage and guide you through your first year at Oglethorpe University utilizing a developmental process that will ensure you will graduate in 4 years.
You may be asking yourself, “Why do I need academic advising?”
Navigating the policies and procedures at Oglethorpe University can be overwhelming for many students. Some may experience academic setbacks and others may suffer personal crises that prevent their success in the classroom. Compass Advising is designed to inspire first-year students to seek academic-professional-personal-social balance and overcome any setback or crisis that may disrupt this balance.
Compass advising will help you:
- Better understand your major, curriculum, and graduation requirements.
- Build the critical thinking, communication, and executive skills employers want.
- Learn to manage your time, and improve the way you study.
- Understand all university policies and procedures (e.g., grade forgiveness, incompletes, academic probation, etc.).
- Learn about specific resources on campus to remedy or prevent academic setbacks or personal crises.
- Develop and achieve incremental educational and career goals.
- Learn to make appropriate decisions that will produce the best version of yourself.
- Get the most out of your college experience.
- Make a life. Make a living. Make a difference.
I pledge to each and every one of you that I will work hard to make sure your first-year advising experience is top notch. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns at CompassAdvise@oglethorpe.edu.
Rene Alvarez, Director of Academic Advising